A chronological view of my life as it happens. For no ones benefit, except for my own amusement.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Cycling the Erie Canal

Disaster strikes on the fourth day into the ride!
After arriving in Seneca Falls, setting up our tent site on my day to drive the van, I got directions to a store that sells wine in order to replace our wine supply on instruction from the other four riders. Told to drive the way I came to the camp site, cross the main street, go down a hill and cross a truss bridge, the wine store will be found at the top of that hill beyond the bridge. Watching my directions carefully and looking for the wine store, I did notice the seven foot clearance on the old truss bridge and the bridge tore off my bicycle, roof rack and the Yakima Sky Box from atop of the van.
Everything was laying in the middle of the bridge and my first thought was, "If I can't get this repaired, how in the heck are we going to get all our gear back to Georgia!"
After talking the rack apart, loading it, my bicycle and the Yakima Sky Box into the back of the van (it barely fit), I went to the wine store, bought the wine and told the clerk my troubles. She said there was a good bike shop in Seneca, about 12 miles away, I called them, they had the parts and I was back in business with the roof rack and the sky box, whew! The sad news is ... My bicycle fork broke and it could not be repaired, so I drove support the remainder of the week for the other four people on the ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home