A chronological view of my life as it happens. For no ones benefit, except for my own amusement.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

BRAG's Spring Tune Up



As I arrived in Madison, GA for the BRAG Spring Tune UP on Thursday, April 15, my car died as I exited the ramp. Called AAA and got towed to the car repair shop by the tow company authorized by AAA. An employee helped me unload my “stuff” into his pick up truck and took me to the Heritage Park where BRAG camp site was located for the event Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun. After lugging all my gear to a shady spot behind a row of Leland Cedars and dumping my tent out of its stuff sack …. Low and behold, I had left my tent poles at home. So, there I was unable to erect the tent, no car and distraught.
Thanks to two guys who had set up next to me from Michigan, they took me to Wal-Mart to buy another tent (that makes three tents I now own!). The car shop called and told me my timing belt had broken and being a special type of engine, it could mean bent valves and a $1,500.00 repair job! This is becoming a very bad day! After a brief discussion, decided to replace the timing belt, turn the car on and see if it skipped because of valve damage. So, late Friday, I found out this approach worked, the valves were not damaged and the repair was ONLY $282.00.
You may have read my last post about a bicycle crash I had the previous Saturday. Still recovering from bruises and a head injury my riding on the Spring Tune UP was a test, since my doctor had cleared me to ride from the second CAT scan of my head showing no brain injuries (but still had a headache all week). The ride Friday was from 20 to 60 miles depending on choice. I chose the 20 mile ride and had a terrible time with the hills, my right arm was painful from the shoulder laceration and bruise, broke open the road rash on my right knee and in general was exhausted getting back to camp. I was not ready for riding, that’s for sure. Saturday, I went out 5 miles and returned to camp, still suffering and decided to pack it up and return home and get some more “recovering”!
As I was packing up, it dawned on me, what the heck do I need three tents? A young man and his Son had set up next to me and the Son had a new road bike for his birthday next week. So, I gave them my tent to replace a smaller tent they had been using. Left a note in their tent since they were out on the route. Got a nice than you note from them yesterday! Sean’s Son, Liam, is really into riding and his picture sent by his Dad is on the post. Happy Birthday, Liam!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sean said...

David! This is wonderful! I actually tracked you down again by googling "David-Bicycling-Savannah" and found you!

We just went to the 2011 spring tune-up ride this past weekend and I thought of you gratefully as I set up the tent you gave us!

Read the fulll blog post here: http://davensavannah.blogspot.com/2010/04/brags-spring-tune-up.html

9:41 PM

 
Anonymous sean said...

oops- my blog is https://teameddie.wordpress.com

9:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home