A chronological view of my life as it happens. For no ones benefit, except for my own amusement.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Spring! Bicycling crash!



As I was finishing up a 25 mile bicycle ride and passing Holly’s home, I had 24.1 miles on my odometer, so I took a short loop ride on Pelham Street to add another mile to get 25 miles. As I was less than 200 years back to Holly’s, I hit a small rotten limb in some leaves and went down hard. My head must have hit the curb as the fall knocked me out. While I had my helmet on properly, the hit was next to my right eye just below the helmet. Never remember much except I knew I was falling. The next thing I knew The Landings First Response Team was helping me up and asking me questions about where I was and did I live at The Landings. I knew I was at The Landings, but didn’t know where. When I told them I stayed at 3 Westferry Ct., they said well, that’s right there across the street. I did not recognize the area, so my brain was shaken up some. Someone must have driven by, saw me lying along the curb, motionless and called the team.
Later after I holly and I went to a pet store the hematoma next to my right eye had started to bleed, so Holly took me to Candler Hospital Emergency Room to get checked out. Two hours later after a CT scan revealed no cranial bleeding and no broken facial bones, I was released. The doctor (also a bicycle rider) glued the wound that was bleeding and told me to stay off the bike until my prime physician says it was ok to ride again. He also said I should be OK to do BRAG’s Spring Tune Up this weekend.
The lesson I seem to not learn yet, is to pay attention and keep your eye on the road. These kinds of accidents happen in a flash and you are down before you know it!
By the way, this morning, my right eye is about completly closed from swelling more overnight. And the Doc says my face will turn blue on the right side, more ugly than my normal face!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home